Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Oscar Feast II - Vote Brokeback, I'm counting

Even if you take out that superb story and the ultra-delicate handling, I could love Brokeback Mountain just for its green meadows, rolling mountains, cowboy country and the brooding silence. I was bowled over with the first 5 minutes, when Ennis and Jack see each other for the first time, but there’s no greeting between them, and you almost fear that they’re hostile cos they may be competing for the jobs on offer.

It’s been labelled a Gay Cowboy Flick, and one of my friends said she wasn’t ready to see this new thing… Understandable, but DO SEE IT. If you’ve wept at Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, or (let’s see) was tormented for those two souls in The Bridges of Madison County and the other two in Casablanca, there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t NATURALLY be moved by this one…

OK, so you’re still not convinced. I'll try harder:

  1. Ang Lee uses super-sophistry, but he will not try to convert you. He leaves it to you to know that these two fellas were really in love, and at least one of them (Ennis, played by Heath Ledger) cared for your opinions and was tormented by the way you and others would look at him.
    I loved the delicate way Ennis is shown flipping his wife over when they are making love… the scene says volumes, namely that Jack (and their nights together up on Brokeback) is still so much on his mind.

    You’re still playing hard to get, then:
  2. If you’ve read and loved Annie Proulx’s famous short story, you won’t be betrayed. It’s a wonder how Ang Lee remained so loyal yet managed to stretch it into a film. Fantastic adaptation by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.
    If you haven’t read it, you might get it here. It was on The New Yorker but they took it down.
    (BTW, Proulx is pronounced as "Proo". I used to say it the whole hog before hearing it at the Oscars)
  3. The pairs and pairs of sexy blue jeans in the film are bound to get you. They’re the old-style, straight-leg Wrangler-kind. Oh those cowboy legs. After the film, bells and flares suck
  4. Jake Gyllenhaal is my latest crush, well almost. You pronounce him “Jillenahaal”. He’s not gay in real life (last heard, he was seeing Kirsten Dunst). If you’re going by the Oscars, don’t. He loses the beard in Brokeback, and he’s a dish. Ask Ennis (wink, wink)
  5. If you’re a Great American Cowboy Cult/ Western fan, let me tell you that so am I, and that the whole thing remains intact and unhurt. The guy who made Crouching T, Hidden D takes care not to break myths but only to suggest what’s only human.

Ohhhhh, I didn’t take into account that you might love Brokeback. In that case:

  1. Ignore the fact that Heath Ledger (Ennis) and Jake (Jack) look older than 19 when the film opens, but that hardly matters.
    In the end, they fail to look old enough, but by then they have your sympathies, so again, it hardly matters
  2. Polish up on your Texan twang, you might have trouble following it. Especially with troubled Ennis who hardly says much, and almost swallows what he says

    Phew... all this despite Ang Lee refusing to pay me. Tell me if you liked it

22 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger melon collie said...

Ledger is simply terrific, isn't he. After stuff like A Knight's Tale, i didn't see something like this coming.

And you haven't seen the rest of Gylenhaal's work? Donnie Darko , and The Good Girl ?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Ekta said...

Hey,
Have been waiting to see this movie and now uv got me all excited again!
Thx for the lovely review-this is top on my list of 'must see'

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

Melon: Hang on, hang on...

Will u keep visiting if I tell u I havent seen either of those? Trying to get hold of Donnie Darko, but my DVD-man looked quite blank :-(

Promise to add all u suggest on my list and update u :-)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

Hey Ekta, thanks for dropping by.

Promise me u won't blame me if you dont like it?

I have ChumkiSingh's comment on my post on Crash saying she didnt think Brokeback was that great... But do go ahead :-)

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Malinee said...

Hi PP,

I was suprised to see u at my blog.Let me tell u that I am very lazy writing and most happy commenting.

Though I have seen ur comments on Shaibalda's blog.So its a pleasure to "meet" you!!

Hey you must have read my take on Brokeback Mountain-- I think I need to evolve more to accept that movie...

Darwinism is omnipresent!!

:DD

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger panu said...

Hello PPnoy,

this is my first visit to your blog. I really liked the review you gave on BBM... thanx especially for the link to get the story. have read it, and loved it.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

Hey Patient,
If I dont like it am gonna insist you refund my ticket money:-)

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Shaibal Giri said...

PP,

Read 'Crash' day-before and 'BBM' yesterday. Could not comment at I find the blogspot way of registering comments too cumbersome. But could not resist declaring that I must say, I am floored with your interpretations of BBM and Crash

Reluctant that I was about seeing these movies....seems to be the only thing to do this weekend.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

Malinee: Thanks for visiting. Dropped by just now, but couldn't locate ur Brokeback post. Give me the URL, pls

Panu: Glad to be of use. Ur take on Brokeback was great, keep posting more like that

Ekta: Deal.
Do I send the money to Hong Kong? U decide on the mode of transaction :-)

Shaibal: Honoured...
No, no pls dont let blogspot deter you from visiting
And tell me later what the weekend was like :-)

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Anand said...

Hey patient,
Neat review!
Now am all the more keen to see the movie!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Ekta said...

cool,
Payment in kind is allowed too...am willing to settle for some sandesh from kolkotta!..way say;-)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

hmmmmm...
Me from Kolkata, now in Bangalore
U in HK
Lots of logistics involved
Lets say u tell me when u come to B'lore, and I inform u when I go to HK
Deal?

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

Hey Happy Anand
Thank you, and tell me later if u liked it

And don't be like naughty Ekta here, who says she might demand ticket money refund :-)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger dreamz said...

i wonder if we will get to see it in Dubai! anyway...nice review:-)

honestly, i prefer o3 to this:-)
maya

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Nice post. Review, even.
Now I have to overcome my incipient homophobia and go see it.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger hutumthumo said...

an off-piste query:
is your id with reference to Portnoy's Complaint?

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Really, I don't know if a person's own sensibilities or inclinations should get in the way of either watching a film or even appreciating it. It's a love story, plain and simple. And, a well told one at that.

If you believed the TOI critic, however, it is disappointing. What do you expect from someone who rates Malamaal Weekly highly? The same lady, as I've said twice earlier, thinks it's alright to copy a film as long as it's not going to be seen by the masses in India :-)

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Ekta said...

Hey Patient,
Yeah me in HK now..bur before this was in Bangalore for 4 yrs da and had the most AWESOME time!
and cool..=.done deal..meanwhile can you have some yummm extra dosa for me next time u get to a south indian restaurant!!!!!..
Miss the idli vada for breakfast here!:-(

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

Dreamz/Maya: Can't you get hold of a DVD?
I don't exist on O3 :-( sigh
Tried to change a setting on my blog, so I hope it'll be easier next time

JAP: Honoured again. Please chuck out homophobia, see it as a nice love story :-)

Hutum: Yes, it is, though my posts are hardly angsty enough. Sorry for misleading. You can read my first post :-)

GhostOfTJ: ToI critic and her strange ways. She talks of the "backwaters" of Texas, mind you, and even if you take it figuratively, why "backwaters"? Isnt' that what Texas and Wyoming are mostly about, at least in terms of Hollywood generalisation?
And not a word of the director's handling of such a subject matter...

Ekta: Done, this time too. In fact, will be too happy to oblige :-)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

Apologies

On Annie Proulx's short story, "It was on The New Yorker but they took it down..."

I had earlier said NYT (corrected it as soon as I realised my error)

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger gIftoFwIngs said...

I liked it much..actually much more than Crash..

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Patient Portnoy said...

GiftOW: You did? Great :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home